Thursday, February 02, 2006

Crossing things off?

I am about to cross off two of my biggest goals on my list. Find a job i actually enjoy, and find my passion, becasue these two are entwined.

A frined of mine from Ricks, with whom i currently work, and I are going to start a business. We have realized that we hate our jobs and could be doing so much more. Right now we are still in planning mode, but wait a little bit and soon we will be out full force. Unfortunately i will not be leaving my other job for at least a year probably. I need the insurance and the steady income, so stick out sewing hell for one more year, then my retirement will be vested and they can't take it form me, and it will give us time to really get things going.

This is a step i have always wanted to do, and now it is finally being realized. I am so excited and yet still so scared, becasue what if i fail? What if no one likes our designs? What if we can't do it? I know that I have the talents and abilities to do something great, but i am still worried. It is normal to second guess your abilities right?

Our main focus is going to be temple ready wedding gowns and modest formal wear, becasue they are needed and there is a market for them here in Utah. And when we say temple ready we mean ones that will work with every type, not just a specific one as so many of the dresses are designed now.

Well wish me luck. Oh and feel free to throw out some name ideas. We are still working on that.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

I am so excited for you! This is a huge step, but you can totally do it. I don't have any grand name ideas yet, but just promise me it won't be anything super cutesy. Maybe you and your friend should just use your name, first, middle or last... it'll catch on. Like this "What a beautiful dress! Where did you get it?" "It's a Sarah Jane." Ya know, like Donna Karen... Just my two cents.

Jeje said...

Hooray!!! This is awesome! I know you can do it. Keep us posted on your plans. I'll be praying for you. I agree with Cellular on the cutesy name thing, too.

C.J. said...

Wow Venus! That is great! If I had any money I would provide you with capital and get rich off of your talents. But alas, I am poor. I think you should definitely follow through and pursue this dream. Yeah, it's a bit scary but you've got a lot of people who have faith in you - including me. I know you said it would be temple wedding dresses, but I think you should have a line of 3-piece suits. You could make a free one for me and I could be your advertising. Isn't that a great idea?!

Sarah said...

Ooo! I like Silent Thunder's idea! Free advertising and all you have to do is make it custom. SL gets a suit, I get a dress... Now, who could argue with that?

Kate said...

Venus, I think it's pretty clear that any of us would absolutely volunteer to be walking billboards for you, but on top of that, we all have faith in you. You'll be great! Know that in any way we can be, we're 100% behind you! :)

Heidi said...

Congratulations! I know it's a big step but most things that reap big start with a risk. You'll do just fine:)

Domestic Goddess said...

Hey thanks. I will try to stay a way from anything to cutesy. That isn't really what i am going for either. Oh and Silent, that probably still won't happen, and if it did not free, reduced yes, free no. same for you cellular.

American Girl said...

That is so awesome. I think you gals will do a great job. There is such a need for both of those that as you get your stuff out there it will be more successful. I am proud of you for taking such a big leap and having so much faith in yourself.

P.S. So much for the free idea, but you guys it was definitely worth a try!

American Girl said...

P.S.S. If you want a website to do some online stuff let me know ... I'd totally be willing to help out.

David Cho said...

Wow. That a great step! Best wishes