Thursday, November 24, 2005

Home for the Holiday's...Not Quite

As we all gather together this year to celebrate thanksgiving with our families, i will be having a new experience. Fot the first time in my 24 years i will not be able to spend this holiday with my family. I am going to be sharing it with Ella's (a woman from work) family. I really didn't expect it to be so hard when i decided that i couldn't go home a month ago, but this week has proven to be more difficult than i had ever planned. I am not one to get homesick, at least not in the last 12 years, but as i sat in institute on tuesday night, and listend to our teacher talk of God's Country (Glacier National Park) and flathead lake and the loons and the beauty that is western montana i wanted to cry and leave right then for the big sky. I miss my home and my family but i wasn't expecting this type of reaction. I am a big girl. I haven't lived in missoula for 6 years. I manage to be fine on easter and the fourth of july. Why is thanksgiving any different? It shouldn't be. It is just a day. Another day that people spend with their families, but people always are spending time with their families on other random days throughout the year, so why does this day bother me so much? Well I am trying not to let it. I will put on my big girl panties and smile and go have a meal with a family i have never met and hope that i am not infinging on their time.

So this year i have realized how incredibly grateful for my family i really am. Family is so important to me. Last night i was pained by a friend that said he wasn't looking forward to spending the day with his family. I just wanted to hit him. He is spending the day with those who love him and will always be there for him. How is this bad? I don't mean to make this into a sob story, but honestly, i was so confused at how he could say that. I know that i have my friends here and that they all love me and for that I am so thankful and love them all dearly, but it is just not the same. Don't feel sorry for me. I am looking forward to spending the day with Ella and family. She says i need to meet her son. That could be fun. She is a great woman and is very caring and I am so appreciative of the invite.

To all of you Happy Thanksgiving. Rejoice in the many blessings that you have been given this day as you spend it with those you care for, who ever they may be.

3 comments:

B said...

For the first time in 8 years, I spent this Thanksgiving with my family! I feel your pain about not being able to go home for the holidays. I have been stuck working the Friday after Thanksgiving and so I have been unable to be at home, so this year my family decided to come to me! It was absolutely wonderful to be with them and remember how Thanksgiving is actually supposed to be. I have yet to miss a Christmas at home and don't look forward to that day. I hope that your Thanksgiving was wonderful! It sure makes you realize how important having your family near really is to you. Love you!!

Jeje said...

Hope your holiday was great. Love ya!

David Cho said...

I hope you had a good one.