Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I have been physically abused in the ear. I'm Deef!

So today I think that I may have fallen asleep during my mandatory hearing test. Luckily it wasn't for long and I still managed to pass the test in the normal range although there is one tone that was much higher than the others. Oh well.

On a similar topic, how often do we often listen to each other. I mean really listen and hear what isn't being said behind what is. I know that I am horrible at that. There are many times where I have failed to be receptive to the things I am being told. I think that I find it easier to ignore the nonverbal clues and feign ignorance than to actually have to admit I have noticed the deeper meaning, or that I have known all along what is going on. I am very selfish in this aspect. I expect people to notice all that I am saying, and yet don't find myself doing the same. I realized this today. It was brought to my attetion while recalling a conversation that I had recently with a friend. I wanted everything that I was trying to convey to be noticed and yet I am not sure that I was willing to listen to everything he was saying. Emotions are funny that way. I did listen, and I think that I got the point, but it makes me wonder how often I have missed out on the important things that are not being said because of my own selfish desires to not have to be troubled by other people's opinions. That is horrible.

2 comments:

American Girl said...

I think our society has become very selfish that way. Everyone wants to be heard and to say their piece, but are we really willing to give it back?

A good friend and I had this discussion a few months ago. We were both having rough weekends and really wanted the other to hear what we had to say. We left the discussion mad at each other and thinking the other one didn't care and didn't realize that the other one was trying to get us to listen too. Luckily we are both very honest individuals and were able to discuss this problem after the fact. Neither one is perfect at it, but I feel that we are both trying to be better on it.

I also think that sometimes people try to communicate things to us in other ways besides verbally and are we really catching all they are trying to tell us?

Jeje said...

Well, you know, deafness does run in the family . . .