Monday, June 20, 2005

Unequal to the Task

It is amazing the ways in which the Lord will get you to turn to him. There was a time, just a few months ago actually, that I was thinking of changing my major to elementary education, with an emphasis in early childhood education, I seriously contemplated this for a few weeks, but I was distinctly told "No, that is not the path for you," so I stuck with business, thinking oh well, not that big of a deal, I am not supposed to teach I guess. But once again I was wrong. I recently have been called to teach in church. This scares the poo out of me. When I wanted to teach I was thinking little kids who are still young and their minds are still moldable, not adult women who know so much more than I do about anything that I am going to try to teach them. I know that if I am willing to ask, the Lord will give me the knowledge that I need to be able to help instruct by the Spirit and to touch at least one person, even if the one person who gains anything from the lesson is me. Still, this is going to make me face one of my fears. I have never felt that I am knowledgable when it comes to the Gospel, so having to teach is going to give me an ulser or two, for a little bit. I will have to turn to the Lord if I ever want to be able to accomplish this new calling.

7 comments:

Kate said...

Then there are those of us who are aching for something more to do... I suppose it's simply that I haven't come to understand the importance of being a bulletin board coordinator that's keeping me in the job. :P And of course, I'm glad it doesn't scare the poo out of me! :)

C.J. said...

You will do great! I think there are three really important things when it comes to teaching: First, prepare and prepare well! Second, be genuine and you can't go wrong. Third, leave the rest to the Lord. Good luck!

Jeje said...

You're a natural leader and an excellent teacher, even though you may be unaware of these qualities. This new calling will help magnify these attributes in you. I'm excited for others to experience you the way I already have. Plus, you're going to do well, simply because it does "scare the poo out of you." You'll rely more on the Lord.

B said...

I will tell you from experience that it isn't the teacher that teaches....it is the spirit. Silent Thunder gave excellent advice with which I completely agree. Preparation, being genuine, and relying on the Lord is key. For some reason I always learn the most standing in front of the classroom in the "teacher" position. Be ready to receive some amazing knowledge. You, my friend, will be fabulous!!

Sarah said...

Oh man! I am so excited to have you teaching! I am just posative you will do an outstanding job. And I never lie about things like that. No worries, things will work out in ways you never thought possible. Much love!

David Cho said...

Sounds like a a great opportunity. It is said that you retain 90% of what you teach as oppose to maybe 40% of what you read.

It's good to see you back to blogging. You must be really really beautiful because every time I visit your blog, I feel dumb as a rock :)

fantastic funk said...

Now that you've taught your first official lesson I can say that you did an amazing job! Not that I expected any less. You are a fabulous woman and I am excited that you will be teaching!